- 1 beef eye round roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 pounds kale, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1-inch pieces (about 24 cups)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Combine 1 tablespoon oil, paprika, sugar and chili powder in a small bowl. Press mixture evenly onto beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F oven 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours for medium rare doneness.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add garlic and red pepper; cook 30 to 45 seconds or until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently. Add kale in batches, if necessary; cook and stir about 2 minutes or until leaves are wilted. Add water; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until stems are tender. Season with salt.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F. Transfer to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare.)
- Carve roast into thin slices; season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve with kale.